Realizing Change is Hard

When my principal held a staff meeting and explained the idea to pilot a project/problem based learning group in our school, I jumped at the opportunity to be a part of that. Who wouldn't want to? Well actually, I do know a number of people who wouldn't want to. To me, it seems like everything a teacher wants: students to learn independence, responsibility, and good work habits. I also was very interested in having my own advisory group. I thought of all the great relationships I could build with the students and how I could see their growth up close. I really wanted to be a part of Academy 21. I have been waiting for this school year to start so I could see how Academy 21 would work in my building. Now, it has been a week and a half and I am realizing that "deprogramming" students from what they are used to is hard. Kids are so used to being told what to do, when to do it, how to do it, and expect a teacher to keep them caught up with it all. My kids are slowly realizing that they need to be more independent. I am also "deprogramming". Academy 21 kids ask me questions and I immediately want to answer them or just make decisions for them and I know I can't. It is all supposed to be about their growth.

Comments

  1. I love your blog, and couldn't agree more with your reflections on the firrst few days we've had so far. I could use a couple more hours in the middle of the day to just get my hands around what's happening; but maybe that is part of my deprogramming, my need to let go and be there when I'm needed instead of always anticipating what I should do to drive hte kids in the direction I think they should go. As we go from the Academy to traditional classes, it is becoming clearer and clearer that in the traditional class, I am the driving force, and everyone is passively waiting to be told what to do. Argh!!! Thanks for the reflective comments and thoughts. They help me process my own.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Will You Take The Challenge?

Standards Based Grading

Confession: Why I stopped blogging